NEW DELHI: Strong-minded to counter Pakistan's charge that Burhan Wani was neutralized in an "extra-judicial" encounter by Indian forces, the foreign ministry may summon Pakistani high commissioner Abdul Basit to hand over evidence of the Hizbul-ul-Mujahideen poster boy's involvement in multiple terror cases, including killing of local J&K representatives and Army personnel.

According to sources in the government, J&K police has already sent to the home ministry details of the 12 FIRs pending against the Hizb commander at the time of his death. These will be forwarded to the foreign ministry, which may then summon the Pakistani envoy and confront him with the evidence of Wani being a "notorious" leader of a banned jihadi outfit.

The cases in which Wani was wanted relate to snatching of police weapons, firing at and severely injuring, killing sarpanchs, panchs and their family members, hitting a police party and attacking a Rashtriya Rifles patrol in Tral. These "physical" terror acts, an intelligence officer said, shatter the myth that he was only an "online jihadi".

Wani exploited the power of social media to eulogise jihadi terror, recruit young Kashmiri boys for Hizbul Mujahideen, encourage them to loot police weapons, threaten attacks on proposed Sainik or Kashmiri Pandit settlements and propagate the idea of khilafat in J&K.

In a statement, Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif expressed "shock" at the killing of Wani.

During the high-level meeting here on Tuesday to review the J&K situation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had objected to Wani's projection as a "hero".

Separatists Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were on Wednesday arrested when they tried to march to the martyrs' graveyard breaking their house detention. However, both were released later and were put back in house detention at their respective residences. The Huriyat leadership has been issuing joint statements since unrest broke out in the Kashmir Valley after the killing of Burhan Wani. Martyrs' Day in Kashmir is observed to mark the martyrdom of 21 people killed on July 13, 1931 by Maharaja's soldiers.