What size rompers, socks and hats does a baby have after birth and what size after a few months? Those who become mom or dad for the first time are generally overwhelmed with the wide variety of cute baby clothes. We’ll help you get through the jungle with our helpful tips and size charts. And also, if you want to give away clothes, you’ve come to the right place!
Baby clothes size chart
The World Health Organization (WHO) provides the data for the average sizes of all babies around the world. It should be noted that Asian babies, for example, are on average much smaller than, for example, Swedish babies.
Unfortunately, there are no separate German studies on the subject of height for babies. However, German babies without a migratory history are born slightly larger on average, that is, around 53 cm in length. Boys tend (but not always) to be slightly taller than girls. Therefore, the values in our table are broader.
The safest option if you want to give sweet pieces is still asking parents what size fits them or what they want. Then nothing can go wrong!
Baby and children’s clothing sizes usually give the Size “top” to. That is, a normal weight Newborns can wear size 56 up to a body length of 56 cm. But then it feels tight and the baby quickly becomes uncomfortable.
If a baby is particularly heavy, the 56 may be too tight even at 54 cm body length. In contrast, very lightweight baby sizes sometimes fit a bit more. Mixed sizes, such as 62-68, are usually somewhat smaller than a pure 68.
* There will always be babies who are very tall or very small for their age. Therefore, you should only consider the values in the size chart as guidelines.
Size chart of hats and caps for babies
Unlike clothing that can be turned over, hats must fit snugly so that they cannot slide over the baby’s face. By the way, the lacing tapes are no longer up to date as they present a strangulation hazard. Nurseries and kindergartens, in particular, do not want to take on this responsibility.
Cap sizes are also “top” sizes. This means, for example, that a size 45 hat fits up to a head circumference of 45 cm. Here, however, in contrast to the clothing, the Buy baby hats as tight as possible. The head does not grow as fast as the baby itself. If you want to give a hat as a gift, it is better to ask in advance about the current size of the child’s head.
Baby shoes and socks size chart
Even if baby shoes are so cute – a toddler who can’t walk still doesn’t need sturdy shoes! Better is barefoot or with socks. The maximum soft leather shoes are ideal for the little ones. But they should also look good and be neither too big nor too small.
These things are important when buying shoes.
- It is important to know the current length of the little foot if you want to give shoes or socks, because they should not only fit like that, but really well.
- There should be approximately 1.5 cm between the longest toe and the shoe. The formula to calculate the correct size is:Shoe size (EU) = (foot length in cm + 1.5) × 1.5
- The bigger the child gets, the more important foot width and instep height become. There are shoes in narrow, normal or wide. The correct choice ensures a stable hold in the shoe.
- Holding the foot against the sole to determine size is usually not enough. When the baby is standing, the foot widens and lengthens and the shoe is smaller on the inside than on the outside.
- Shoes from different vendors may turn out different because sizes are sometimes calculated differently.
* The tables that assign the size of the foot to a certain age are only indicative. Each foot develops differently.
Giving random shoes is risky. Because even if the size is right, the shoe may be too tight or too wide. Therefore, it is always best to get a personal consultation (with the child) at a store specializing in children’s shoes.
Babies grow incredibly fast. So never buy too many new clothes in one size. Because some babies easily skip an entire dress size during a growth spurt. For example, suddenly you wear 86 instead of 74. Then all the beautiful clothes stay in the closet and have to be painstakingly resold later.
It is similar with shoes. While they should always fit well, clothing can be a bit too large. Simply roll up the sleeves or trouser legs and the problem is solved. By using used items instead of new ones for clothing, you can save a lot and save the environment at the same time. You can still have one or another special piece ready for the big show 🙂
Still have a question on the topic “Baby Size Chart”? Then write us a comment!