MULTI [lateinische Substantive]: a lot; various
- MEDIUM [Latein]: something that is used to convey or carry something
- MEDIUM [American Heritage Electronic Dictionary, 1991]: A tool to distribute and present information.
Multimedia can be interpreted as the use of several different media to combine and transmit information in the form of text, audio, graphics, animation, and video.
- The combination of computer and video (Rosch, 1996)
- A combination of three elements: sound, image and text (McComick, 1996)
- A combination of at least two means of entry or exit. These media can be in the form of audio (sound, music), animation, video, text, graphics and images (Turban and Friends, 2002).
- Tools to create dynamic and interactive presentations that combine text, graphics, animation, audio and video (Robin and Linda, 2001)
- Multimedia in the context of computers according to Hofstetter 2001 is: the use of computers to create and combine text, graphics, audio, video with tools with which users can interact, create and communicate.
Multimedia can be used in:
- The field of interactive and effective advertising
- The educational sector in the provision of interactive teaching materials and can facilitate learning, as it relies on various aspects: sound, video, animation, text and graphics.
- The area of networks and the Internet, which helps make websites interesting, informative and interactive.
- According to Computer Technology Research (CTR) research:
- People can remember 20% of what they see
- People can remember 30% of what they hear
- People can remember 50% of what has been heard and seen
- People can remember 30% of what has been heard, seen and done.
- Change change the workplace. Telecommuting does not necessarily allow employees to do their work from the office. Examples of software that supports teleworking / teleworking: Netmeeting!
- Change the way you shop. The home purchase / teleshopping can be done through the Internet, then the products arrive by themselves.
- Change the way you do business. Nokia is a mobile phone company, many companies use an online trading system, banks use online banking.
- Change the way information is retrieved. People used the Internet and various software programs to find information. For example: reading online newspapers, using detik.com, using health software, learning to play guitar with software, and much more.
- Change the way you learn. Schools used multimedia computers, studied online, and used e-books.
- Internet multimedia has also started to compete with television and radio.
How can you call the multimedia system?
- The media combining system is called a multimedia system when both types of media (continuous / discrete) are used. Examples of discrete media: text and images and continuous media are audio and video.
- Independence The main aspects of this type of different media are the links between media. The system is called multimedia system when the degree of dependency / connection between the media is low.
- Computerized integration The system must be capable of computerized processing. The system can be programmed by the programmer / user system.
Multimedia systems can be divided into:
- Standalone multimedia system This system makes sense is a multimedia computer system with minimal storage space (hard disk, CD-ROM / DVD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-RW), input devices (keyboard, mouse, scanner, microphone ) and output (speakers, monitors, LCD projectors). , VGA and sound card.
- This network-based multimedia system must be connected over a high-bandwidth network. The difference is that there is a system of exchange and access to the same resources. Example: Video Convergence and Video Streaming Problem: When bandwidth is low, network congestion, lag, and infrastructure issues are not ready.