With the Galaxy Z Flip, Samsung has introduced a really interesting Android smartphone. It is the first smartphone in a completely new series, as well as Samsung’s first vertically foldable Android device. At least of the new folding generation, which has a folding screen. It is obvious that Samsung is more advanced when we use the Galaxy Z Flip […]
With the Galaxy Z Flip, Samsung has introduced a really interesting Android smartphone. It is the first smartphone in a completely new series, as well as Samsung’s first vertically foldable Android device. At least of the new folding generation, which has a folding screen. It is obvious that Samsung is more advanced when we compare the Galaxy Z Flip with the Motorola Razr. A very dominant 6.7 ″ Infinity Flex display is installed inside, which is foldable and protected by flexible glass.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip: many special functions on board
On the outside, the smartphone, which is only available in two colors, has an additional 1.1 ″ OLED display that provides information on the time, incoming calls and other important information. Samsung allows the Galaxy Z Flip, for example, to be set at a 90 ° angle, which makes it the perfect camera for every situation because it has a built-in tripod. The ad campaign is aimed at young people who like to be on Instagram and Co. There are many other functions that are designed for 50:50 multitasking, for example.
- Flexible mode (Now available in initial applications) 1 – Samsung worked closely with Google to develop Flex Mode, a user interface that takes full advantage of the Galaxy Z Flip’s foldable design. Because the Galaxy Z Flip can not only be opened and closed. For example, if opened at a 90 degree angle, the top and bottom halves of the screen can be used as two separate screens through the multi window. This means that users can easily view videos or other content in the upper half and control the smartphone through the lower half. Flexible mode will also be available on YouTube2 soon. Then, for example, the broadcast is displayed in the upper area, while users can search for other videos, read descriptions or write comments in the lower area.
- Use hands-free – When opened, the Galaxy Z Flip can remain open at a variety of angles between 0 and 180 °. Not only does this offer the ability to take exciting selfies, but it also allows you to fully focus on the other person during video chats with Google Duo, all hands-free.
- Independent camera – The Galaxy Z Flip can literally stand alone and take photos: When open, users can simply leave the fold down for convenient photos on the go, from group photos to animated night scenes. Photos and videos can also be taken from interesting angles without a tripod; Thanks to the timer or gestures, this even works hands-free. Hyperlapse videos or photos in night mode in low light conditions benefit from fixed position. When closed, users can also use the camera on the back to quickly take high-quality selfies with one hand without opening the folding. When open, the Galaxy Z Flip produces stunning videos, optionally in 16: 9 format, which is designed to be shared on social media.
- Individual notification – Whether the Galaxy Z Flip is closed, upright or open, users never miss any messages, calls, or reminders. When closed, current notifications or status information such as date, time or current battery level are displayed on a small front screen – the notification bar. To respond to notifications, users can simply tap on the notification and open the Galaxy Z Flip. Incoming calls can even be accepted through the notification bar without opening the fold.
- Multitasking made easy – Thanks to the multi-window view4, it is even easier to work in parallel. In this mode, the desired applications can be selected and moved using drag and drop to work in parallel. In the upper half of the screen, users can, for example, research the latest fashion trends, while in the lower half they can shop for their favorite items.
The battery, which is divided into two halves, offers 3300 mAh and you should get through the day quite well. We don’t have to do without other common standards like fingerprint sensors (case frame) or USB-C. A fairly simple combination (12 MP F1.8 + ultra wide angle) is used for the main camera. It probably has to do with the fact that the price should not go back to € 2,000. By the way, it is not.
Cheaper and faster available: Samsung is rethinking folding smartphones
Other key facts: Snapdragon 855+, 8GB of RAM, 256GB of UFS 3.0 memory, Bluetooth 5, Wifi 6, wireless charging and the usual standards of comparable high-end smartphones. All in all a complete package, the second generation of folding smartphones seems to be more mature and therefore much more interesting in my opinion. Also because the price is significantly lower, just under € 1500. It is still available in limited quantities in Germany as of February.
Ultimately, the dimensions are interesting too: the Galaxy Z Fip measures 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3mm (folded) and 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2mm (open) and weighs 183g .