Would you like to bleach your hair yourself, but with professional products? Mixing a bleach like in the salon is not difficult at all! We tell you what the different developers are about and in what proportions you can mix the components.
You’ve probably already bought a color or bleach at the drugstore instead of going to the salon. Unfortunately, the result of such self-experiments is not always very satisfactory. If you want to go pro, you can also try bleaching powder and developer that you can mix yourself. And that is not difficult at all.
This is how whitening works
Bleaching is a chemical process that can put a lot of pressure on your hair. You should definitely consider this before coloring your hair yourself! Here, the bleaching powder is mixed with an oxidizing agent, usually hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). You will receive this in the form of a developer where the oxide is 2 percent, 6 percent, 9 percent, or 12 percent. Only with the help of this developer can the bleaching powder penetrate the hair structure and chemically change the melanin it contains to create a lighter hair color. So that the hair does not have an undesirable yellow or orange tint when it is bleached, blue or purple pigments are often added to the bleaching powder these days.
Components of a bleach:
- Whitening powder *: White, blue or purple powder that only works with developer. The basic composition hardly varies by manufacturer, but there may be differences in quality and degree of whitening.
- 2% developer *: With it you can lighten light brown to light blonde hair very gently or use it for a bleaching wash.
- 6% developer *: Often used with dark hair or with a desired low level of lightening. It should work together with the powder for about an hour.
- 9% developer *: Mainly used on medium light hair, but also on dark hair. The exposure time can also be less than one hour. The brightness is stronger here than at 6 percent.
- 12% developer *: This developer is used infrequently and produces the strongest rinse (up to seven levels). It can seriously damage the scalp and hair structure and therefore should only be used by the hairdresser.
tip: If you want to lighten your hair very strongly, you should bleach it twice with a 6 percent developer instead of damaging your hair once with 12 percent.
Do you prefer the color?
Do you have the feeling that the blonde does not suit you or is not striking enough for you? Then try one or more brightly colored trend colors. The following video shows you how to dye your hair in garish shades.
Instructions: Mix bleach
If you know how much you want to lighten your hair, you can get the right developer and bleaching powder of your choice. Here you can use the so-called powder-free powder, because it is not so easy to inhale and does not cause a cough. Also, you need:
mixing ratio: The mixing ratio between bleach powder and developer is generally indicated on the developer’s packaging. If this is not the case, you can always do it in the ratio of 1: 2 mix (yes, fractions are the order of the day). One example: Uses 30 grams of powder (1 part) and 60 grams of developer (2 parts, that is, double).
- First you put the desired amount of bleaching powder in the container. You can measure everything exactly with a kitchen scale or measuring cup (ml = g).
- Now the developer comes in: use the brush to stir it and the powder until you get a uniform paste.
- Now start applying the bleach immediately. Because the chemical process is in full swing!
- Follow exactly the exposure time on the bleaching powder package and then rinse the hair again.
By the way, bleaching your hair is not the same as bleaching your hair! Depending on the initial hair color, level of lightening and possible shading at the end, very different shades can arise:
So, we hope all of your open questions about whitening and how to mix them have been answered! To avoid excessive damage when lightening, you can also add Olaplex, a styling product, when bleaching. In another article we will explain how to use Olaplex at home. And if in the end your hair has an undesirable tone, you can discover here how to remove a yellow tint.