I had already told you several times that my family used to eat traditional potato salad with sausages on Christmas Eve. We would always eat well with relatives on one of the two days of Christmas. But to create a mental bridge from Christmas to next summer: a potato salad is, of course, a dish for the whole year. It is ideal to accompany cold cuts, schnitzels and fish or for the grill buffet.
To be honest, I don’t even know why I haven’t shared the recipe with you yet. So I’m more happy to do it now. =)
Basically, this recipe is a bit different than many other potato salad recipes. From friends, acquaintances, neighbors and also from restaurants I only know completely different variants. Either the potato salads are quite heavy on onion or more tart, or they are actually more like a real salad with herbs and no salad mayo. There are many versions! Also: tastes are known to be different. For my part, I also like the other potato salads, but the one I know from my childhood is simply my favorite. It has a slightly sweet note, and I think that’s exactly what defines it. However, it has an intense potato flavor and is a real treat, especially when warm.
To be honest, I have to say that I never made the potato salad according to a real recipe, because I put all the ingredients together by eye and with precision. But recently I paid special attention to the amount of ingredient I take. =)
I’d be happy if you would try our potato salad and then tell us how it tastes!
Have fun cooking at home!
Recipe: our favorite potato salad
- 1.5 kg of waxy potatoes
- 6 eggs (including 1 for garnish)
- 500 ml of mayonnaise for salad (10% fat)
- 8-10 quarts of cucumber from the jar (2 of which for garnish)
- 50 ml of cucumber vinegar
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Salt pepper
- Sweet paprika
Is that how it works:
- First, the potatoes and eggs are boiled. Meanwhile, you can prepare the salad cream. To do this, put the mayonnaise salad together with the mustard, sugar and spices in a large salad bowl and mix everything together. Test how much salt, pepper and paprika you want to use as a noble sweet.
- Peel the onion, cut it into small cubes and fry it in the pan until transparent. Then add the onion to the salad bowl and give it a good stir.
- The cucumber quarters are also cut into small cubes and added to the salad cream. Also add about 50 ml of cucumber vinegar to the salad.
- As soon as the eggs are done, peel them, cut them into small pieces and put them in the salad bowl. The potatoes are also peeled, then sliced and placed in the bowl.
- Finally, mix everything well. If the salad is still lacking liquid, you can add a little more cucumber vinegar or 1-2 tablespoons of cream if needed. Basically, the consistency of the potato salad should look like our pictures. =) Finally, re-taste everything and, if necessary, re-season with salt, pepper and / or paprika.
- Smooth the surface of the potato salad, clean the edge of the salad bowl, and garnish the finished salad with cucumber quarters and eggs.
- Potato salad tastes best when served warm with Viennese sausage.
Enjoy your meal!
As you can see, the recipe is really very simple. I’m curious how you will taste our potato salad!
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of the recipe of one of our loved ones. Pasta salads remember. the recipe I had to make this in 2015. This salad is also wonderful as a side to grill.
I am waiting for comments!
All the best,
your Mari =)